Following a proposal by the Government of Slovenia to the 199th Executive Board of UNESCO, the 2nd World OER Congress will be held in Ljubljana on 18-20 September 2017, hosted by the Government of Slovenia and co-organized with UNESCO.
In the lead up to the 2nd World Open Educational Resources (OER) Congress, the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) in partnership with UNESCO and the Government of Slovenia is conducting a survey on OER National Policies, which was sent to Ministries responsible for Education in all UNESCO and Commonwealth Member States, as well as a series of Regional Consultations focused on OER for Inclusive and Equitable Quality Education: From Commitment to Action.
Date and Venue
- ASIA: 1-2 December 2016, iKuala Lumpur (Malaysia), h by Asia e University
- EUROPE: 23-24 February 2017, Valleta (Malta), hosted by the Ministry for Education and Employment of Malta
- ARAB STATES:, 27-28 February 2017, iDoha (Qatar)
- AFRICA: 2-3 March 2017, Port Louis (Mauritius), hosted by the Ministry of Education and Human Resources, Tertiary Education and Scientific Research of Mauritius
- NORTH AMERICA and LAC: 3-4 April 2017, Sao Paulo(Brazil), hosted by University of Campinas
- PACIFIC: 29-30 May 2017, Auckland (New Zealand).
The objectives of the Regional Consultations are to:
- Identify the current status vis-à-vis the recommendations made at the 1st World OER Congress among key stakeholders namely governments, policy makers, the OER community and the wider education community;
- Initiate discussions among the key stakeholders regarding the identified challenges to mainstreaming OER as highlighted in the outcome report of the OER Road Map meeting;
- Build awareness among key stakeholders about the objectives of the 2nd World OER Congress and make recommendations for consideration;
- Encourage more governments to commit to the adoption of open licensing policies for teaching and learning materials developed with public funds.